Over the coming weeks we start a series looking at Spiritual gifts
God gives us the gifts of the Spirit to fulfil the purpose of the church — reaching people far from God and teaching them how to follow Jesus step by step. Paul tells us: “All [the gifts] are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines” (1 Corinthians 12:11).
The gifts of the Spirit are beyond our natural physical and intellectual abilities; they are supernatural. They are Jesus working in us. He uses the natural (us) to bring out the supernatural (Him). This happens through our faith in Him and our willingness to share the grace we have been given with others.
A common question is: “How do I know my gift, and how do I use it?” This boils down to finding how God has equipped you to share the grace of Jesus.
Here are three ways to discover your spiritual gifts:
- Ask God. He created us, knows us best, and gave us our spiritual gifts, so He is the best one to show us what they are.
- Change your thinking from “What is my gift?” to “How can I give?”
- Start serving at church, home, work, and the community. As we begin to serve with the giving mind set of God and the desire to share His grace, we create opportunities for God to reveal our gifts to us.
Whatever your gift, it is heavenly designed just for you. Using your gift is how Jesus’ light shines through you into this dark world.
Think about –
- What is one way you can give in order to find out your gift?
- What is one way you can step out in faith and begin serving those around you?
- If you know your spiritual gift, what is one way you can use it to reveal God’s grace?.